1. Reason, or at least the overemphasis of rationality.
2. The Enlightenment (and sometimes the Renaissance)
3. The materialism and banality of the bourgeoisie
4. European Civilization
1. Feelings, emotion, and passion
2. Intuition as a valid form of knowledge
3. Creativity and Art
4. The Genius of the Artists
5. Untamed Nature
6. Religion, insofar as it offered an emotional, intuitive relationship with the absolute (God)
7. The exotic, especially as represented by the Orient and Gypsies
8. The peasant, as people untouched by civilization
9. The Middle Ages as a time before rationality and civilization set in.
10. Revolution, as that which unleashed passions, emotions, and creativity.
11. Napoleon, as the superhuman genius who reshaped Europe as an artist shapes a canvas.
12. Freedom, but the freedom of the artist (not the political and economic freedom of the bourgeoisie.